Baking the perfect British scone is all in the rising of the dough. How big can you bake your scone?
Serves: Serves 6 - 8
Ready in: Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 30 - 60 minutes
225g/8oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
30g/1oz caster sugar
55g/2oz raisins or sultanas (optional)
150ml/1/2 cup milk
170g/6oz jar Clotted Cream
Large dollop of strawberry jam
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/400ºF/Gas 6.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar in a bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Slowly add the milk until you have a firm but fluffy dough.
4. Turn out onto a floured work surface. Pat the dough into a circle about 1 1/2 cm thick and cut out the scones. (At this point you can cut the scones as big or small as you like)
5. Put onto a non-stick baking sheet and brush the tops with milk.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until well risen
Serve with a large dollop of Clotted Cream