A curious dish from the deep blue sea. Lemon cheese perfectly compliments this flavoursome dish.
Serves: Serves 4
Ready in: Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 20 - 30 minutes
2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
24 cherry tomatoes, halved
24 green olives, stoned
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 lemon, zest & juice
50g/2oz Wensleydale with Lemon cheese
150ml/½ cup of olive oil
4 small whole lemon sole, gutted.
Handful of chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
2. Mix together the fennel, tomatoes, green olives, garlic, lemon zest, and two-thirds of the lemon juice in a bowl until well combined. Gradually whisk in enough oil to loosen the mixture.
3. Transfer the fennel and tomato mixture to a pan and slowly bring to the boil, then remove the pan from the heat and set aside until completely cool. Once cooled crumble in the Lemon cheese.
4. Season the sole, inside and out, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. When the filling mixture has cooled, spoon it into the fish cavities. Drizzle the remaining lemon juice over the stuffed lemon sole.
6. Transfer the lemon sole to a roasting tray and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the lemon sole are completely cooked through. (NB: the lemon sole are cooked through when the juices run clear when the fish is pierced in the fleshy part behind the head with a skewer.)
7. To serve, place each stuffed lemon sole onto a serving plate. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley.