This super-sized scone will feed lords and ladies a plenty, the seasonal addition of tart rhubarb perfectly compliments the Clotted Cream
Serves: Serves 6 - 8
Ready in: Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 30 - 60 minutes
For the Scone:
175g/6oz Devonshire Butter, preferably frozen
250g/9oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g/2oz golden caster sugar , plus extra for sprinkling
150ml/½ cup cold whole milk
1 tspn lemon juice
1 free range egg, beaten for glazing
For the Topping and Filling:
350g/12oz Rhubarb, Cooked with a little brown sugar and cooled overnight
50g/2oz golden caster sugar, plus a little sugar for sprinkling
1 jar 170g/6oz Clotted Cream
Small drop vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7
2. Grate the butter into a bowl, then place back in the freezer for 5 mins.
3. With a spatula, quickly mix the butter with the flour, baking powder and sugar, add the milk and lemon juice, then bring together until you have a butter-speckled dough.
4. Knead the dough a few times on a floured surface. Roll out to a circle, press into a lightly greased 20cm sandwich tin, then brush the top with egg and scatter with a little sugar.
5. Bake for 20 mins until risen and golden, then transfer to a cooling rack.
For the topping and filling:
1. While the scone is cooling, mix the cooked rhubarb in a bowl with a sprinkling of the sugar, then set aside
2. To assemble the cake, place the scone base on a serving plate, spread the cream generously over, leaving a slight edge of the cake showing, then pile the sugary rhubarb on top.