A ready-made cheeseboard within a pie, fruity and cheesy; the perfect combination.
Serves: Serves 6
Ready in: Prep: 20-30 minutes Cook: 40 minutes
For the pastry:
225g/8oz plain flour
100g/4oz Devonshire Butter
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon of caster sugar
2-3 tbsn water
1 free range egg, beaten
For the filling:
450g/1lb cooking apples, peeled and sliced
175g/6oz dried figs, chopped and stalks removed
175g/6oz Royal Blue Stilton cheese, crumbled
50g/2oz soft brown sugar
1. Dissolve sugar in two to three tablespoons of boiling water, allow to cool and put in fridge to chill.
2. Sift the flour and add cinnamon and salt
3. Cut butter into small cubes and rub in to flour and cinnamon mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add chilled sweetened water and mix and lightly knead dough on floured surface.
5. Chill in fridge for at least half an hour
6. Preheat oven to 200°C/400ºF/Gas 6
7. Roll out pastry and line 8 inches of a non-stick pie dish (use a tin with a perforated base preferably as this helps to achieve a crisper base)
8. Layer the apples, Stilton and figs and sprinkle with sugar
9. Cover with remaining pastry and seal edges.
10. Score the top of the pastry and brush with beaten egg
11. Bake in moderate oven for 40 minutes