The orange colour of the Double Gloucester, gives this soufflé a golden glow. Seasonal Asparagus makes this springtime dish a winner.
Serves: Serves 1 - 2
Ready in: Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 10-30 minutes
½ jar 75g/3oz Double Cream
3 asparagus spears, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
100g/4oz Double Gloucester Cheese, grated
3 free-range eggs, separated
Devonshire Butter, for greasing
Flour, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
2. Place the double cream into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. Add the asparagus spears and chives, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
5. Add two of the egg yolks to the mixture and beat well
6. Place the egg whites into a large, clean bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed. Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
7. Grease a small ovenproof pan with butter, dust with plain flour and shake out the excess.
8. Spoon the soufflé mixture into the pan, then transfer to the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until risen and golden-brown.
Serve immediately in the pan or turned out onto a plate.