A simple classic for any occasion, serve in plastic cups for kids parties or dress them up and serve with white wine for dinner!
Serves: Makes 18 large straws
Ready in: Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 10-30 minutes
375g/13oz ready-rolled puff pastry
100g/4oz Lancashire Cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp celery seeds or mustard seeds
1 free-range egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a thin sheet.
3. Sprinkle over the Lancashire (think of using Parma Ham at this stage to up the ante for grown ups!)
4. Fold the pastry over the Lancashire (and Ham), then roll out again to a thin sheet.
5. Trim the edges of the filled pastry, brush all over with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the celery seeds.
6. Cut the filled pastry into 1cm/½in strips.
7. Twist the strips and transfer each to a baking tray. Press the ends of the pastry twists down to secure them to the tray and prevent them from unravelling.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown. Set aside to cool slightly, then serve.